Tuesday 13 September 2016

Hello Internet.


Well, I did say it would be stereotypical. (It's in the title)


But the thing about stereotypes is that they are there to be broken, confirmed and then demolished again. What do you think the stereotypical student is? A loud mouthed party-goer? A nose in the book type? A technology obsessed geek? A coffee drinking poet? An activist? A traveller?


Check. Check. Check.


Because the thing about stereotypes is that they are not mutually exclusive. I am all that and more. You can’t define me by my Star Buck frappes and Snapchat stories, any more than you can by my gaming obsession and fan-girl ways.


Because I am the stereotypical student.


And more. 


I've finally realised that stereotypes don’t have to be negative. Humans like to put things into boxes, tick off lists and confirm stereotypes because the idea that every single person on this planet is as individual and complex as you is a difficult perspective to swallow.


So this blog is designed to explore each of these stereotypes. I have a label for the traveller, for the writer, for the geek and for the studious. Sometimes things don't fit neatly into boxes. Sometimes posts will have more than one label.


What stereotypes do you conform to? What ones do you break?  Talk about it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment